Bhindi or Okra can be cooked in different ways.You can keep it simple or add the indian masala to make the spicy masala bhindi. I have made this bhindi using besan (gramflour) and a pinch of hing (asafoetida) and the mixed foran which is also known as panch foran in India.The Panch Foran is a mixture of 5 different seasonings in one pack and each of the ingredients in this adds a flavor to this dish in its unique way !
Here goes the step by step recipe to cook okra or bhindi with besan and panch foran.
- Gram Flour /Besan 3 tablespoon
- Bhindi 500 gm
- Hing/Asfotedia – 1 teaspoon
- Panch Foran 1 teaspoon
- Dry spices- Coriander, Red chili, turmeric and cumin powder
- Salt to taste
- Refined oil
Wash and dry the bhindi and cut this into slits
In a kadhai add oil ,hing , panch foran and chopped onions
- When the onions turn pink add besan and raost this mixture till its turns golden brown
- Keep it aside in a plate
- In the same kadhai add oil and add the chopped bhindi and let this cook for 5 minutes on medium heat without the lid(bhindi should turn soft)
- Add the dry spices and mix well and let this cook for 5 more minutes
- Now add the besan masala prepared earlier to this mixture and mix well
Cook this for 10 -15 minutes on low heat till the bhindi gets cooked (Keep the flame low and stir this with spoon)
Serve this with chappati or paratha
You Besan Bhindi is ready to serve !