Chhena Peda is sweet dish prepared by Indians during festivals and are made by milk, sugar, cardamom, dry fruits and other traditional flavorings.Cheena Poda is a very famous sweet dish made in Orrisa and my sweet dish is inspired by this delicious traditional recipe from Orrisa state in India.You can store chhena peda in the refrigerator for 2-3 days but it tastes best when eaten fresh.
Cheena is homemade cheese prepared from milk.You can check the cheese/Chhena recipe in my Chenna Paratha Recipe.
So here goes the recipe :
- Take 200gm of homemade cheese at mash it well with your hands till they become soft and moist.This may take 5-10 minutes.
- Take the dough of mashed chhena and make small portions balls from it.
- In a deep vessel pan add 2 cups of water and 3 cups sugar and let sugar dissolve on low flame.
- When the sugar is dissolved in water, and one of milk and turn the heat high, you will see some foam coming at top..remove this with a spoon .
- Keeping the heat same, put the chhena balls in the syrup and cover this for 15 minutes.
Now you can turn around the balls and you will see it has become double its size.
- In another pan melt some jaggery around 2 tablespoons and add cardamom powder to this.Turn off the heat and take one teaspoon of this mixture and slowly add this to the boiling Chhena mixture.
- The liquid will turn golden brown.Immediately take this out on a greased plate with ghee or butter and let this cooldown.
The sweet Chhena Peda is ready to be served.