Urad Dal Vada is made from lentils and that makes it one of the healthy dish that you can make for your family and friends or just for yourself!
tastes delicious because of it’s crunchy and spicy taste and I love to eat these with coconut chutney although sometimes I make sambhar to enjoy the traditional sambar vada dish.
Vada /Medu Vada is generally prepared with urad dal but I have added here half cup of chana dal and have also have added some white sesame seeds to make this in my own way. This actually makes it more crunchy and it can be enjoyed as evening snacks with chutney.
So here goes the recipe :
- Soak 2 cups of urad dal (split black lentils) with one cup of chana dal (Bengal gram) for 2-3 hours
- Drain the water and grind this in a mixture without adding any water. It will be sticky if at some point you feel it’s runny you can add corn flour half tablespoon or rice flour.
- To this batter add chopped coriander, ginger, chili, dry spices- pepper powder, cumin powder, some amchur powder if you want and red chili powder.also, add in sesame seeds and salt to taste and mix well with a spoon.
- wet your hand and take a spoonful of batter, spread it and make a hole in the center.
- Heat oil in kadhai/deep pan and slowly upturn your hand and drop vada in oil.(You can also use a spatula instead of your palm to make these vada, just grease the spatula with some water, drop the vada using spoon)
- Flip and cook both sides
The Healthy Medu Vada is ready to be served.